Access to world-class beaches is a big part of San Clemente’s famous allure. Locals know that with some proper planning for a beach bag with a few key essentials, every beach day will be a good one.
Use this easy-to-follow guide to make sure everything you need for fun in the sun gets tossed in the beach bag BEFORE your head down to the sand.
A Big Bag Is Better
The perfect beach bag offers room to spare. Pick up a large, over-the-shoulder tote or backpack and make it your dedicated beach bag. A bag with a zipper and at least one internal pocket for keeping track of the keys or cash is best. Keep your beach bag stocked with these items and you will be ready to go when the ocean calls.
The Bare Necessities
Don’t leave home without these items or risk cutting your beach day short:
- Waterproof sunscreen (Spray on is best for the beach)
- Lip balm with SPF
- Swimsuit to change into or a change of clothes for afterwards
- Sunglasses (with a leash attached if you plan to wear them into the water)
- Wide-brimmed sun hat
- Bottled water
- Flip-flops or sandals
- A hairbrush and pony tail holders
- An eco-friendly, reusable “wet bag” for your suit or wet towel
Add in a Few Creature Comforts
Here are a few more add-on items to consider adding to the list.
- Snacks to replenish yourself between waves
- Baby wipes to clean up your hands
- Portable phone battery booster
- Portable Bluetooth speaker
- A good book, magazines or an e-reader
- A small first aid kit with Band-Aids, antibacterial ointment, and pain reliever
- Towels, Mats, and Chairs
Bigger is better when it comes to beach towels. Go with one large enough to double as a blanket. If you don’t like sand on your towel, opt for a woven straw beach mat to sit on. They roll up nicely and are lightweight. For beach goers who prefer a chair, choose one with backpack straps for easy transport.